As the outgoing president of the PRSA NJ, I want to thank our membership, sponsors and my fellow board members for their hard work and commitment to the continued success of our organization.
We kicked off the year jumping right into programming — virtually, of course, with panel discussions and conversations on hot-button topics such as diverse and inclusive representation in media, mental health in the workplace, and navigating the communications industry as a new professional.
However, as a board, we knew that after nearly three years it was time to bring back in-person events. So we started with two of our Chapter’s signature events: the Pyramid Awards and Meet the Media.
Our 33rd Annual Pyramid Awards was celebrated at the Basking Ridge Country Club, where we handed out over 50 Pyramids Awards, Honorable Mentions, and Excellence Awards recognizing top-tier campaigns and practitioners for excellence in public relations and communications in New Jersey. What a pleasure to raise a glass and celebrate with so many of you!
We rounded off the year by partnering with New Jersey Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) and Rutgers University PRSSA for our popular Meet the Media panel held at Rutgers University.
Aside from the excitement surrounding our events, I would like to share an overview of chapter successes in 2022 achieved as a direct result of the passion, focus, and dedication of our board and committee volunteers:
- Launched New Pros Committee to offer support, professional development programming, and networking opportunities specific to the challenges and experiences of new professionals during their first five years in the industry.
- Built and retained partnerships with agencies, educational institutions and media companies including Content Marketing Institute, MWW, Coyne PR, Monmouth University, BML PR, Rutgers University, Johnson and Johnson, and Goodman Media.
- Conducted regular outreach with PRSSA chapters, including sharing updates, events and PRSA NJ volunteer opportunities.
- Enhanced content throughout our social media channels and quarterly newsletter by sharing a variety of content on diverse and trending topics, campaigns that highlight chapter and member successes, and increased posting frequency to maximize on awareness and engagement.
- Last but not least, expected to launch in January is our new PRSA NJ website. This project was led by our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Committee and executed through the expertise of web developer Melissa Murray.
It has been an incredible and rewarding experience to serve as your Chapter president, and I’m thankful to work alongside a board who donated their time, expertise, and resources to help us achieve our goals and continue to provide value to our membership.
I would also like to give a special thanks to our Chapter management partners, Andrea and Tim Bower of Bower Management, for their guidance, support, and going above and beyond for our organization. They are truly an asset to our Chapter.
In closing, as we welcome Michael Lauer as the 2023 PRSA NJ president, I encourage all of you think about what role the Chapter currently plays in your career, as well as what role you might play for PRSA NJ to become better prepared and more connected in the communications industry.
Wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday season!
Deirdre A. Lopian