Job Title: Communication Manager
Reports To: General Manager/ VP
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Communications Manager position will support the McWane Ductile New Jersey plant and community. The position is located in Phillipsburg, NJ, and will require minimal travel outside the community.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communications manager onsite, direct reporting to the General Manager with dotted line reporting to the Director, Corporate Communications, McWane Inc.
- Responsible for the oversight of all communications efforts at the McWane Ductile New Jersey plant.
- Manage crisis communications and ensure crisis communication plans exist and key people are trained on crisis communication processes and protocols.
- Develop and manage an active media relations strategy (build strategic relationship with media, seek out positive media opportunities, write press releases, respond to media inquiries with key messages approved by Corporate Comms).
- Active community relations strategy to manage community goodwill, identify key risks and manage implementation of strategic community relations initiatives to support facility goals (Community Advisory Panel, local philanthropic giving, strategic partnerships/affiliations).
- Manage internal plant communication systems (leadership communications, employee engagement communications, feedback systems, etc.).
- Participate on plant leadership team and serve as communications adviser/coach to leadership, including Frontline Leaders, Department Managers, Plant Manager and/or General Manager/Asst. General Manager.
- Provide strategic communications planning and tactical support for plant initiatives.
- Manage day-to-day, ongoing communication needs.
- Assist with crisis communications/media training, as needed, in coordination with Corporate Comms.
- Manage plant’s participation/interaction with company communications tools (SharePoint News, Communications Resource Portal, etc.).
- Partner with government relations on selected business issues/initiatives.
- Crisis communications support, as needed.
- Media relations support/guidance (write key news releases, advise plant leadership on managing local media in non-crisis situations, provide key messages and talking points for issues of strategic importance).
- Primary point of contact for plant leaders on critical communications needs.
- Gauge employee and local community sentiment.
- Develop/maintain employee trust.
- Establish credibility/influence at plant across all levels.
- Balance plant objectives and goals with company objectives and goals.
- Time management/balancing priorities among multiple leaders.
- Manage local community relations budget, including oversight of local requests.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated employee communications and community relations experience.
- Demonstrated media relations experience.
- Demonstrated successful interpersonal and political savvy skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish communications systems and manage and measure work.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with team members across all levels of the plant – from hourly team members to General Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field and a minimum of 5 years’ experience.
- Experience in manufacturing industry and knowledge of local community a plus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting – more than 80%
- Standing/Walking – more than 20%
- Talking/Listening – More than 80%
- Vision Requirements – More than 80%
- Hand/Finger Dexterity, Reaching with Arms and Hands (computer keyboards etc.) – More than 80%
- Pushing/Pulling – Less than 30%
- Bending, Stooping, Crouching – More than 20%
- Lifting more than 50 lbs. – Less than 20%
- Outside Temperatures – Less than 30%
- Exposed to fumes or airborne particles (PPE provided) – More than 25%
- Exposure to noise – More than 80%
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply to the link below: