- IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Upload Resume or Curriculum Vitae for automatic population of information to the application.
- The contact information, work experience, and education listed on your Resume/CV will be parsed and input into your Montclair application.
- Review information and double-check all fields containing information that the system parsed – the software is intelligent, but you need to verify that the data is accurate.
- In the “My Experience” section, you will find a Resume/CV upload option where you can submit your cover letter and all other supporting documents.
Note: If you have an expansive CV, we recommend that you apply manually and only include the positions you have held in the last ten (10) years. You will then be able to attach your Resume/CV, as well as all other supporting documentation in the “My Experience” section of your application.
The Marketing Director supports the student recruitment efforts of the offices of undergraduate and graduate admissions and the University’s schools and colleges by providing centralized marketing services. The Marketing Director plans and leads these efforts, overseeing the execution of student recruitment marketing campaigns and supervising the work of external vendors. The Director reports to the Vice President for University Communications and Marketing and works closely with him/her to develop and implement university-wide marketing and branding related policies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with campus partners to develop, plan and manage student recruitment marketing strategies and tactics
- Works with the directors and staff inside University Communications & Marketing to implement an effective, and well-coordinated multichannel approach.
- Gathers and analyzes data related to marketing, and applies insights from that data to improve performance. Prepares monthly “dashboard” reports.
- Works with the Vice President to develop and implement policies related to marketing and branding, and provides guidance to the entire campus about proper application of those policies.
- Works with the Vice President to prepare annual, comprehensive marketing plans for each College and School.
- Keeps current with best practices for higher education marketing, and helps to innovate the University’s approaches
- Writes strategic marketing plans and creative briefs to inform the work of creative, editorial, digital media and news media teams
- Tracks expenditures on advertising, printing, mailing services and postage, and provides regular reports to the Vice President.
- Serves as the primary liaison to the institution’s branding agency, media buying agency, and other external marketing resources and partners
- Supervises permanent staff, freelancers, interns and temporary staff; manages vendors and budgets as delegated by the Vice President
- The above statements describe the principal functions of the job and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly relevant experience, including at least 2 as a supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Demonstrated experience performing the major duties of the position
- Understanding of and commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Bachelor’s degree in a field closely related to the duties of the position, such as business administration, marketing, advertising management, public administration, or similar discipline
- Credentials that demonstrate advanced knowledge of marketing, advertising management, and communications strategic planning, such as:
- a master’s degree in business administration or advertising management
- a credential such as the AMA Professional Marketer Certification (or similar)
- evidence of successful completion of professional development programs designed to enhance knowledge, skills and abilities closely related to the duties of the position
- Experience working in a similar role in higher education
- Strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, customer service and relationship-building
- Outstanding ability to work collaboratively with people from many different backgrounds
University Communications and Marketing
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
Additional information can be found on the website at
Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 Policy
Montclair State is required by Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 not to discriminate on the basis of sex or gender, and does not discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of education programs and activities. The requirement to not discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of education programs and activities extends to admission and employment. For further details, please visit: https://www.montclair.edu/human-resources/job-seekers/