PRSA NJ is holding its annual Meet The Media event, with a very unique twist: speed pitching your story ideas directly to the participating journalists one-on-one, in 60 seconds or less.
The event is co-hosted by PRSA NJ, the New Jersey Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, and Rutgers University Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America. It is sponsored by BurrellesLuce.
Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Time: 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
8:00-8:30: Breakfast and networking
8:30-9:30: Meet the Media Panel
9:30-10:00: Speed pitching
Location: Rutgers University Livingston Student Center, Piscataway, N.J.
The theme for the panel discussion is Inside the “New” Newsroom. This interactive Q&A panel with reporters, editors, and other journalists will explore:
· Challenges the media has in an era of shrinking newsrooms, financial pressures, expanded platforms, and political viewpoints
· How journalists are selecting what news they’ll cover, why, and the necessary ingredients
· How they spend their time in story development, and what they really need from PR pros to do this work
· How PR people can truly break through the clutter, meaningfully connect, and help the press create coverage that works
The panel will be immediately followed by the fast-paced “speed pitching” event with the panelists. During this, attendees will have the opportunity to pitch their story idea one-on-one in 60 seconds or less and get immediate feedback from individual panelists on its worthiness for them, if appropriate for others at their outlet, or tips on improving it when approaching other press.
Media panelists will include national outlets, regional press, and local reporters from TV, radio, print, and online media. Confirmed panelists to-date:
• Christina Paciolla, Editor and East Region News Supervisor, Associated Press
• Scott Michaels, Producer, Retro Report (video news documentary outlet)
• Anthony Birritteri, Editor-in-Chief, New Jersey Business Magazine
• George Beck, Editor-in-Chief of Blue Magazine (for law enforcement)
• Jane Primerano, freelance writer, American Farm Publishing and Lee Newspapers
• Hunter Hulbert, Editor/Social Media Manager, Jersey’s Best (lifestyle magazine)
• Briana Vannozzi, Correspondent, NJTV News
• Alice Gainer, Reporter, CBS 2
We book journalists right up to the event, and will have updates on the PRSA NJ Facebook and Twitter sites. Note that media panelists are subject to breaking news that could affect their ability to participate.
The media panel is moderated, with lots of opportunity for Q&A from attendees. This is also a great opportunity to personally meet the journalists, discuss their coverage needs, and pitch a story idea.
This event is sponsored by:
PRSA Members: $35
Full-Time Students: FREE