Register now for PRSA NJ’s annual Meet The Media event, with a twist: speed pitching your story ideas directly to the participating journalists one-on-one, in 60 seconds or less.
The event is co-hosted by PRSA NJ, the New Jersey Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, and Rutgers University Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America, and sponsored by Pitching Monkeys Media and BurrellesLuce.
Date: Thursday, April 5, 2018
Time: 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. | 8:00-8:30: Breakfast and networking | 8:30-9:30: Meet the Media Panel | 9:30-10:00: Speed pitching
Location: Rutgers University Livingston Student Center, Piscataway, NJ
Fee: $35 for PRSA Members | $45 for Non-Members | Free for Students and Faculty
Register online here.
The theme for the panel discussion is Making It Easy for the Press to Say YES to Your Story. This interactive Q&A panel with reporters, editors, and other journalists will explore:
- Challenges the media has in an era of shrinking newsrooms, financial pressures, expanded platforms, and political viewpoint
- How journalists are selecting what news they’ll cover, why, and the necessary ingredient
- How they spend their time in story development, and what they really need from PR pros to do this work
- How PR people can truly break through the clutter, meaningfully connect, and help the press create coverage that works
The panel will be immediately followed by the fast-paced “speed pitching” event with the panelists. Attendees will have the opportunity to pitch their story idea one-on-one in 60 seconds or less and get immediate feedback from individual panelists on its worthiness for them, if appropriate for others at their outlet, or tips on improving it when approaching other press.
Media panelists will include national outlets, regional press, and local reporters from TV, radio, print and online media.
- Steve Lubetkin, NJ/PA Editor for GlobeSt.com, and National Broadcast News Correspondent for CEOReport.com
- Charlie Kratovil, Editor, New Brunswick Today
- Ivy Charmatz, Executive Producer, News & Special Projects, News 12 New Jersey
- Jackie Lieberman, Franchise Owner and Managing Editor, TAPintoWestfield.net
- Julio Cortez, Photographer, Associated Press
- Ken Schlager, Editor, New Jersey Monthly
- Michael Days, Editor for Readership Engagement, Philadelphia Inquirer
- Howard Burns, Editor, NJBiz
- John Ensslin, Staff Writer, The Record
We book journalists right up to the event, and will have updates on the PRSA NJ Facebook and Twitter sites. Note that media panelists are subject to breaking news that could affect their ability to participate.
The media panel is moderated, with lots of opportunity for Q&A from attendees. This is also a great opportunity to personally meet the journalists, discuss their coverage needs, and pitch a story idea.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org