IMA® (Institute of Management Accountants), www.imanet.org, named 2017 Professional Body of the Year by The Accountant/International Accounting Bulletin, is one of the world’s largest and most respected professional associations focused exclusively on advancing the management accounting profession. IMA is looking for a Manager of Communications and Public Relations to join its growing staff at IMA’s global headquarters in Montvale, N.J.
The Manager of Communications and Public Relations works with a variety of IMA spokespeople and global staff to raise awareness about IMA around a variety of timely professional issues. This includes the future of the profession amidst changing technology, the need for “upskilling” among accountants, and IMA’s CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) certification program. This position works closely with colleagues on the Brand team to deliver a world-class brand experience in paid, earned, owned, and shared (social) media outlets. The position reports to the Senior Director of Communications and Public Relations.
- Plan effective communications campaigns to promote IMA’s thought leadership, including future trends in the profession. Recommend an appropriate mix of internal and external channels to effectively reach target audiences.
- Provide internal client support for IMA’s thought leadership, programs, products, and services to ensure appropriate messaging in all communications.
- Plan and execute IMA’s external media relations program in collaboration with PR Agency of Record. Work with staff and volunteer spokespeople to deliver messaging and themes that are aligned with IMA’s brand positioning and strategic goals.
- Collaborate with staff from IMA’s global offices to ensure alignment of regional PR programs and consistent use of messaging and spokespeople.
- Write and edit copy for a variety of internal and external communications, including press releases, bylined articles, and email communications.
- Support IMA’s growing book publishing line through marketing and communications tactics. Evaluate performance of communications and make recommendations for future improvements.
- Engage IMA staff and volunteer leaders in the delivery of IMA’s thought leadership, strategic goals, and overall communications strategy.
- Ensure that IMA Brand Guidelines and Style Guide are followed across all Brand channels. Implement proofreading quality checks.
- Attain a detailed knowledge of IMA subject matter the issues affecting the management accounting profession. Stay current on industry trends to identify PR opportunities and maximize IMA’s share of voice.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and other Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or related field.
- 5-7 years of experience working in a brand thought leadership or issues management role. Experience working with organizational spokespeople is required.
- Experience working with content relevant to accounting/finance, business issues, careers, and/or technological changes affecting the profession.
- Ability to understand technical issues and translate them into compelling messages.
- Demonstrate strong creative, project management, and analytical skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects across various departments.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, fact-checking, and proofreading skills.
- Experience working at a communications agency, membership association, or not-for-profit organization helpful.
- Qualified candidates will be asked to provide a variety of portfolio samples.
CONTACT: To apply for this position, send a cover letter and résumé to IMA Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.