Join PRSA NJ for its annual Meet The Media event, with a very unique addition this year: speed pitching your story ideas directly to the participating journalists one-on-one, in 30 seconds or less.
This event is sponsored by BurrellesLuce and co-hosted by the New Jersey Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, and Montclair University Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America.
Date: Thursday, March 30, 2017
Time: 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
- 8:00-8:30 am: Breakfast and networking
- 8:30-9:30 am: Meet the Media Panel
- 9:30-10:00: Speed pitching
Location: Montclair State University Student Center | 1 Normal Avenue | Montclair, N.J. 07043
The primary theme for the panel discussion is Why the Press Isn’t Covering Your Story and What You Can Do to Change This. This interactive Q&A panel with reporters, editors, and other journalists will explore
- Challenges the media has in an era of fake news, bias, and alternate facts
- How journalists are selecting what news they’ll cover and current challenges in
- How they spend their time in story development, and what they really need from PR pros to do this work
- How PR people can truly break through the clutter, meaningfully connect, and help the press create coverage that works
The panel will be immediately followed
by the fast-paced “speed pitching” event with the panelists. Attendees will have the opportunity to pitch their story idea one-on-one in 30 seconds or less and get immediate feedback from individual panelists on its worthiness for them, if appropriate for others at their outlet, or tips on improving it when approaching other press.
Confirmed Media Panelists:
- Karin Price Mueller, “Bamboozled” columnist, The Star-Ledger/NJ.com, and Founder of NJMoneyHelp.com
- Nick Corasaniti, political and New Jersey reporter, The New York Times
- Charell Star, Digital Journalist, Marie Claire, Fox 5, NBC New York Live, Second Look TV, and VinePair
- Gwen Orel, Features Editor, The Montclair Local
- Phil Alongi, Executive Producer, NJTV News
- Charlie Kratovil, Editor, New Brunswick Today
- Richard Cowen, Reporter, The Record
Additional Invited Media (confirmations occur right up to the event):
- USA Today
- Wall Street Journal
Registration: Online registration is available here. PRSA NJ Members: $35 | Non-members: $45 | Students: Free